Can Tho: Over 380 million USD spent on urban core area’s upgrade

canthoA corner of Can Tho city (Photo: VNA)

An amount of over 380 million USD will be splashed out on a project to upgrade facilities in the core area of Can Tho in a bid to enhance the Mekong Delta city’s adaptation capacity to climate change.

Of the total investment, 70 percent comes from official development assistance sources and the remaining 30 percent is contributed by the locality, heard a meeting between the municipal authority and the Can Tho project management board on September 16.

The project, set to be completed by the end of 2017, includes solutions on inundation control in Ninh Kieu and Binh Thuy districts, as well as measures to improve the transport link and enhance urban management capacity, helping ensure the city’s sustainable development.

The project management board will make upgrades to some parts of Can Tho River embankment and Rach Cai Son embankment, build 13 sluices to regulate tidal flows and two reservoirs while dredging up 14 canals in the targeted area.

In addition, 7.75 million USD out of the total investment is set aside to ameliorate the drainage system and a sludge treatment plant and upgrade 12 kilometres of the drainage system.

At the meeting, the project management board also gave out a line-up of recommendations to constrain inundation and improve transport link such as the construction of Quang Trung 2 bridge and a road linking Cach Mang Thang Tam Road to provincial highway 918 and expansion of Tran Hoang Na street.-VNA


You might also like

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

one × = 2